Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cscvs--experimental--1.1 nearing doneness; call

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cscvs--experimental--1.1 nearing doneness; call for testers
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 01:07:38 +0200

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:37:15PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Charles Duffy <address@hidden>
>
>     > Incidentally: bkcvs makes some guarantees [every revision in a given
>     > changeset at the same timestamp, no two changesets at the same
>     > timestamp] that make it ideal for doing a perfectly accurate cscvs-style
>     > reconstruction very easily...
>

> I don't follow BK very closely.   I sample lkml from time to time is
> about it.
>
> One thing I saw go by sounded as if LM was saying their would be
> tar-bundled (traditional) patch-sets for each BK revision of every
> bkbits project.   Is that right?   If so, wouldn't _that_ be a very
> easy source to use for cross-revctl-system mirroring?

yes, that's the ideal source infact (cvs also loses the email domain as
I learnt the hard way ;). That's a good point, we may prefer to defer
adding any bkcvs in cscvs until we hear something definitive from Larry.
If he start exporting the changesets in a different protocol (not cvs),
then maybe it's better to write an importer for it, so it'll work for
all projects hosted at bitmover, not just the kernel.

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/