[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch and linux 2.7

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch and linux 2.7
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:42:10 -0600

> What's your point?  The BKL I'm looking at imposes no conditions
> regarding use of other SCM products.

You've got the wrong license.  We're talking about the Free Use
License, which is here:

http://lwn.net/Articles/12121/?format=printable

Section 3(d) says:

       (d)  Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this
            License is not available to You if  You  and/or  your
            employer  develop,  produce,  sell,  and/or  resell a
            product which contains substantially similar capabil-
            ities  of  the BitKeeper Software, or, in the reason-
            able opinion of BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper
            Software.

Really, this means that if Larry decides you "compete", you are out.
So in the example of a Debian developer, Larry could decide that
Debian competes, and take out all Debian developers if he likes.