Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recovery from accidental file deletion

From: zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recovery from accidental file deletion
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:21:07 +0100

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 03:03:17PM -0500, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> Just now I've managed to accidentally deleted my working copy of a
> file which was part of an arch project; fortunately it had no
> uncommitted changes.  Is there any simple way to recover just that
> file from Arch without disturbing my other working files (since
> several of them have modifications I don't want to lose)?  With CVS, I
> would have done a "cvs update", and cvs would notice the missing file
> and replace it.  I tried "tla update" in hope of something similar,
> but it wouldn't bite.
>
> I ended up checking out the entire revision again (to a scratch
> directory which I afterwards removed), in order to get at the lost
> file.  Would there have been a better way to accomplish this?

tla undo does a similar thing; but undoes ALL changes in your local tree.
the -o option shoul do it to another dir, which I was told on IRC would
help me with retrieving just one file.
I failed to understand the help message, and consequently lost all files
in my checkout... :(

I posted the same thing as a feature request to the bugs list; but have
not heard anything since.

--
Thomas Zander