Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:26:47 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 address@hidden wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> as I'm interested in {arch} but need support on win32 (cygwin will do) to
> adopt it , I came up with the following thoughts:
>
> The only accesses to the file system that require realy long paths are
> internal to {arch}, and not strictly user-visible, ie. in the project
> structure.
>
> tla could create a file ~/.arch that actually contains
> long-filename-capable filesystem (eg. ext2) and route all accesses to
> /my/local/dev/path/{arch} to ~/.arch(/my/local/dev/path/{arch})

Are you able to mount ext2 filesystem under windows?

> To make this work, the vu_* commands should detect the {arch}
> subdirectory, and perform the equivalent of chroot.
> (Also, the repositories themselves would have to go inside this fs)
>
> Calling tar and gzip should be replaced by vu_tar and vu_gzip
> that go through the vu_* interface.

This means that you will need to write your own tar/gzip utils if I
understand it correctly.

> Any thoughts on feasibility of this?

IMHO this is more work then either:

- fix Cygwin to support longer paths

or even

- do clean Arch Win32 port w/o a need for Cygwin. Here required GNU tools
  might be provided/compiled by MinGW.

Cheers,

Karel
--