Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:14:04 +1100

Parker, Ron wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Collins [mailto:address@hidden

Well, I'm happy for you to shoot over the patches to me as they are.
I'll see what they do for me :).

You asked for it.  Here are 5 patches against cygwin 1.5.5-1:

Here's my current state. remaining TODO:

0) Fill out the last couple of thunks. FindFirstFile and FindNextFile need to be always Ansi or always Wide, and if following that principle there, it probably makes sense to always use one or the other, not decide on a per-call basis.
1) update [f] pathconf (see the weekends archives of
address@hidden and address@hidden for details of what is
needed.
1a) Update CYG_MAX_PATH to (say) 270. Check for issues with the change
occuring, and rectify.
2) check the exact assembly generated when CYG_MAX_PATH is 4K, and see
what causes non virtual method calls within cygwin to go awry: I think
it's a g++ problem with alloca trashing eax, but I haven't done the
analysis yet. If possible generate a test case for g++ (mine passes so
far :[) and check against gcc 3.3.x. Rumour has this issue as a already
fixed there bug in g++.
3) do the PATH_MAX alterations as discussed on the cygwin list - pick a
direction an follow it.

4) test, test and test.

Oh, and rebuild file-utils and tar with the new .dll, as a starting point.

IOW, we're past the hard point.

Rob