Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Arch On Cygwin(Win32)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:39:04 -0600

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 10:12, Naushit Sakarvadia wrote:
> I also was working on Cygwin port.
> and ran into >256 byte path limit
>
> > - fix Cygwin to support longer paths
>
> So this 256 bye path limit is Cygwin Limitation or Win32 ?
> If its Cygwin problem. its serious and it should be fixed in Cygwin.

This has been discussed on this list many times.

>From my recollection, it is a limitation of the win32 API calls
currently made by Cygwin. If Cygwin were modified to use the calls
without this limitation (which are *not* available on Win{95,98,ME})
when on an NT-based Windows variant, the problem would thus be resolved.

(That said, many Windows programs -- including the Windows Explorer --
still use the old calls, so there's potential for standard Windows tools
to start crashing when extended paths exist in the system).

This is merely my recollection, however, and may not be entirely
correct. Please search the list for earlier posts on this same subject
(pref. by rcollins) if in need of a more definitive response.