[Gnu-arch-users] unmatched files

From: Colin Walters
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] unmatched files
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:38:44 -0500

Hi,

"untagged-source" was a nice step forward.  However, it still isn't
enough to just use "untagged-source precious" with say an
autotools-using project.  That's because .deps and .libs don't match any
regexp, and are thus categorized as unrecognized, which is an error.
The user won't be able to commit until they do something about this.

I can understand the rationale for why people would want such strictness
(although I believe it's better solved at a higher level, such as with
tla-pqm, but anyways...).  The issue is that tla is now shipping with
the default tagging-method being "explicit".  Given that I've explicitly
told tla what files are source, why should I have to redundantly
classify files via regexp as well?

I propose a new directive for tagging-method, specifically
"unmatched".  The directive would control what happens when a source
file doesn't match any regexp.

So I would say:

unmatched precious

to get CVS' behavior, which makes a lot more sense to me with the
explicit tagging method.