Re: [Gnu-arch-users] is there demand for itla?

From: Ian Duggan
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] is there demand for itla?
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:17:17 -0800

On Sunday 16 November 2003 08:33 am, Tom Lord wrote:
> I believe it would be about 1-3 month's work to get a useful first
> release that is then fairly easy to extend.  I also think it would
> wind up eventually being a very handy tool for writing an arch GUI and
> for writing overarch-style functionality.

I think such a thing as you've described it sounds useful. As I understand it,
tla would remain the workhorse doing the work of modifying the archive,
whereas itla would be more of a hand holding sequencer of commands for common
workflows. Sounds good.

Would overarch then be a declaritive description of how itla should work for a
specific project? How would overarch and itla interact with eachother?

> The question I'm stuck on is how much "demand" there is for itla.
> Opinions?  Ideas? Rants?  Tips?   I think it's a pretty exciting idea
> but I'm not sure what priority to give it relative to other projects.

Given that you are estimating  1-3 months, I think it's important to
understand the arch roadmap. I've looked around on the site, google, and mail
archives, but I can't find anything like a roadmap or TODO. Is there such a
thing? If not, maybe we could come up with/post such a thing and do apache
style voting on the roadmap items to set priority?

Also, maybe someone else could pick up your design and run with it. Might be
more reasonable if your expertise is needed on deeper problems.

I know that a windows port and gui are high on my wishlist (not for me, but
for people I interact with) so that arch is usable on more projects. I'm sure
others have different priorities.

-- Ian

Ian Duggan    address@hidden    http://www.ianduggan.net