Re: [Gnu-arch-users] is there demand for itla?

From: zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] is there demand for itla?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:43:42 +0100

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:29:14PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
>     > https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&group_id=4899&bug_id=6570
>
> That's a "small feature idea" bug report that isn't about error codes
> at all but is about a request to permit abbreviating command names.

I was listing points I felt were missing in tla. This is one of them.
Another is that in all gnu commands its normal to allow dash prefixed
arguments everywhere on the command line; tla also does not allow that.
  tla file-find bla -H
fails.

"Its better to steal good, then to invent badly."

> It is not a good small feature idea because it constrains the
> namespace of commands-added-in-the-future in an undesirable way:
> adding any new command which has a prefix which is an old command can
> break scripts.

Funny that various other project have been using this successfully for
quite some time, they have not big problems with the things you fear.
But I'll rest my case.

>     > ps. 3 months is pretty darn long; my guess would be 1-2 weeks..
>
> "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing well."

"Release early, release often" (ESR)

I can't escape the feeling that your reply felt like a defense to my
'complaints'.  I know I have too high expectations for others, this I see
quite often.

I was hoping you were old and wise enough to benefit from someone that
will always find flaws in any system to make it better and better...

--
Thomas Zander