[Gnu-arch-users] Re: is there demand for itla?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: is there demand for itla?
Date: 17 Nov 2003 11:35:45 +0900

Ian Duggan <address@hidden> writes:
> My only concern is whether the choice of guile will attract a large
> enough set of developers to make overarch grow quickly/be useable to a
> large population.  I like scheme/lisp and all, but just not sure how
> many people out there can hack on it. You don't think it would be a
> limiting factor?

I think it's pretty much a non-issue.  People who like some other
language better might grumble, but if they want to hack, they'll hack;
scheme is not any harder (and arguably easier) for programmers to pick
up than any other language, and as there's really no other clearly
dominant scripting language, there seems little reason _not_ to choose
scheme.  I don't particularly like perl or python, but that wouldn't
stop me from working on a project (or even make me hesitate).

I'd be more concerned about practical aspects of the particular scheme
chosen (I've not looked at guile in a looooong time, and my debian
system is currently toast* so I can't conveniently install it just this
moment).

* Massive disk failure.  Actually, I'm currently typing this in a
  telnet session from the last virtual terminal that hasn't frozen --
  I can't reboot because not enough is left of the disk to boot
  (in fact, there's not enough left to do a clean shutdown either)...

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen