Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: minor extension to arch protocol

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: minor extension to arch protocol
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 02:11:57 -0500

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 23:34, Miles Bader wrote:
> Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> > why should a revision control system be
> > hardcoding its sorting order preferences?
>
> This is _not a sorting order issue_

Ok, I've heard conflicting things on this, and Tom didn't explicitly
say...

> Because it's not useless in {arch} (how many times does it have to be said?).

If it's not useless, then what is it useful for?  The only other
rationale I have heard for it being used in {arch} is that it
differentiates tagging-method from a project archive; but there's a
better solution, and that's to simply put the project archives in their
own directory.  Directories were created to solve namespace problems.

And that justification only applies to {arch} - the fact that = is used
in other places makes me suspect that there is some nominal rationale
behind it, although as far as I can tell it's mostly random (why is it
=INSTALL but not =COPYING?  Why not =src?  Why not =configure?)  If the
rationale is not sorting order (as you assert), then what is it?

> You can use `=' or not use it as you wish in the `user portion' of your
> sources.

=tagging-method is clearly in the user portion, since it needs to be
edited in order to make tla even able to commit anything for my
projects.