[Gnu-arch-users] Re: OT: Lisp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: OT: Lisp
Date: 20 Nov 2003 11:04:16 +0900

Joshua Haberman <address@hidden> writes:
> - it is expressed using a single syntax (s-expressions) that exactly
> maps onto its basic data structure (recursive lists).

For me this is the absolute most winning thing about lisp (other
traditional advantages such as garbage collection are less unique these
days), and in particular the ability this gives you to extend the
language simply and transparently (you might think this would lead to
maintability problems because of everyone making their own little
control structures, but in practice this is kept in check because people
tend to loosely stick to a few conventions for writing such extensions).

Simple to use, very lightweight, lists-via-cons-cells are also very
convenient for many casual programming tasks.

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."