[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] copyright and economic incentive

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] copyright and economic incentive
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:00:54 +0900

    Tom> Here is a proposal for how to reconcile the role of copyright
    Tom> in creating economic incentive with the difficulties to
    Tom> copyright of digital information:

Ah, well done!  Rather than respond to another thread by defining
software freedom in ethical terms, you've written a document in
political economy where you

  o reinvent ASCAP and the RIAA,

  o breathe new life into the pernicious notion of "fair trade" (in
    practice "collusion against which we don't enforce anti-trust
    laws because they suck blood by the pint on the half-hour rather
    than by the quart hourly, and sit in the front pew at church")

  o and in the process provide a vehicle which would make the group
    you label as "the Stanford Poofs" a legally enforceable cartel.

You of all people should consider the last, at least, to be harmful!

All mixed with the same set of carefully obfuscated presumptions that
you were running away from analyzing in the first place, as well as
several other well-known pitfalls I haven't mentioned.

Continuing is evidently pointless.  So ... let's call it a draw, and
concentrate on arch (or Pika), instead.

Anway, I'm out of this thread, and all the related [OT] threads.
My apologies to the 3d parties whose mailboxes were uselessly filled.

Cheers!

Steve