[Gnu-arch-users] Bruce Perens recommends GNU Arch

From: Andy Tai
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Bruce Perens recommends GNU Arch
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:05:49 -0800 (PST)

This is a page from today's lwn.net; see the comments
section for Bruce's message.

Clearly GNU Arch is on the way to become the possible
replacement for BitKeeper.  It just requires a little
bit more push to go mainstream (whether Linus uses it
or not; it is OK not to put too much hope on Linus
himself) ...

http://lwn.net/Articles/59997/

----

Linus & the Lunatics, Part I (Linux Journal)

Doc Searls and Linux Journal present the first of
three transcriptions of talks by Linus and friends
during the latest Linux Lunacy Geek Cruise. "I am
firmly convinced that if your source control doesn't
support random people making their own branches, and
then being able to merge as they do development with
anybody else's branch, the source control is not worth
bothering with. And if BitKeeper ever goes away, I
will not go to Subversion or something like that. I
will go back to tarballs and patches. Because at least
that one doesn't have merge problems that most other
projects have. Which is kind of strange, but.... It
has been very productive. It has helped enormously
having something that is truly distributed. But I did
want to mention that." Post a comment

  What Linus can use if Bitkeeper goes away
(Posted Nov 24, 2003 19:48 UTC (Mon) by BrucePerens)
(Post reply)

Fortunately, Linus won't have to go back to tarballs
if bitkeeper goes away. He can <A
href="http://gnuarch.org/bin/view";>use this</A>. The
latest
version of "arch" seems to be called "tla". It does
provide the ability for any person to create branches,
anywhere, without authorization from the person/site
that the branch refers to. It's nice to see that this
project didn't die.

Bruce

  alternatives
(Posted Nov 24, 2003 20:20 UTC (Mon) by stevenj) (Post
reply)

There are also other alternatives being developed with
similar features, e.g. darcs.

=====
Andy Tai, address@hidden
Free Software: the software by the people, of the people and for the people!
Develop! Share! Enhance! Enjoy!