Re: [Gnu-arch-users] more on the merge-fest

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] more on the merge-fest
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:51:22 -0600

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 06:59, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> This is a clone of the "more granularity" appeal, and it's still
> wrong. You are operating under the assumption that the tests form a
> complete, correct description of the behaviour of the program (if this
> were true, then you could simply deploy the test suite and skip
> writing the program).

No, that's true if-and-only-if the test suite is also in a format which
permits this full and complete description to be executed by a computer
with the same actual output as the program itself. I couldn't take a
full and complete natural language program spec in English and put that
on the shelf for consumers to buy, either. The "more granularity"
approach is right (or, rather, the level of granularity /you/ use is
wrong).