[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: John Goerzen
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:51:29 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-02-20, Tom Lord <address@hidden> wrote:
>     >   The next thing I found was that it was SLOW. tla is kind of brute
>     > force, and all that diff-ing, tar-ing, and compressing can take quite a
>     > while.
>
> It does take a little bit of care to set up a tla environment that is
> fast but many people have done so successfully.   Once you do so, I
> think you'll find many advantages compared to CVS and SVN -- but it
> does take some care.

I'd follow you up to here, Tom.  With the Linux kernel, I have found
*no* good way to make the performance acceptable.

Setting up a local revision library is out of the question due to the
apalling space requirements this would require.  Cached revs are used --
but that does no good for commits, which are the slowest operation.  Is
there something I'm missing out on?

-- John