Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: Robin Farine
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:58:53 +0100

John Goerzen wrote:

Setting up a local revision library is out of the question due to the
apalling space requirements this would require.

Well, today, a 200GB HD costs about 150 Euros and you a lot of revisions can fit on such a beast. So is a revision library really out of question?

I am using a greedy library. A 'tla changes' on a Linux 2.6.0 tree hard linked to the library and with a few changes in it takes about 3s (with name ids). On a tree two thirds the size of the Linux kernel tree but with explicit ids, 'tla changes' takes about 4s.

Without actually knowing the respective complexities (I mean function of the number of files) of the 'tla changes' operation with names and explicit ids, I would say that a 'tla changes' on the kernel with explicit ids would run in about 11s. Or something like that.

So I am quite happy with tla but nevertheless admit that I have no idea on how Subversion behaves with this same tree in terms of storage requirements and operation time. Do you have any concrete values?

Robin