Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How to 'update' an updated archive?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: How to 'update' an updated archive?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:49:07 -0400

TC wrote:

I'm used to
thinking about three different ways in which my files can be out of sync with another
set of files:

a. Some properties (including content) of my or their files have changed
b. One or more files have been removed from my or their space
c. One or more new files have been added to my or their space

It's just a bit disorienting to find that arch doesn't always respond to b.

No, what Arch does is treat them the same. Undoing reverts properties, deletes new files, and restores deleted files.

Although, as
several folk have shown, it can clearly be *made* to respond. But this is a minor gotcha that CVS'ers need to watch out for. (And maybe one that could be recognized
as arch develops?)

The problem is specifically that people are used to reverting file contents with "rm foo; cvs update". If we can get them to use "tla undo --" or "aba file-revert" or whatever, it'll be solved right.

(God, I've turned into one of those "fix the user" developers. But I swear it's right here)

Aaron