Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] political action call

From: Rob Kaper
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] political action call
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:27:39 +0200

Apologies for missing mail headers that assist threading.

> > If you're going to cmpare anyone with Hitler, try Saddam Hussein, who
> > attempted genocide on the Kurds and Marsh Arabs of Iraq.
>
> I'm sorry you are such an incompetent debater --- otherwise I would
> give you more uptake.
>
> You are trying to imply, without having to own up to saying, that I am
> an apologist for Saddam Hussein.  Given your insanity, I'm sorry, but
> I can't help you.

I see no such implication, Tom. And if I force myself to it, certainly none
stronger than your own "Bush is Hitler" implication.

I have to agree with you though, that remarks like yours might get you
killed in ten years, when you're called on a tour of duty when the Americans
have to free Europe again, this time from being colonized by radical Islam.

* 50% of my city (Rotterdam) is immigrant, mainly Islamic. Expected to be
  2/3rd by 2020. Our Hofplein square is more crowded when Galatasaray wins
  a soccer match than when any of the three local teams does. It's not
  uncommon to hear more Arabic on the streets or subway than Dutch and I'm
  not talking about Arabtown, I'm talking anywhere in town.

* Currently under construction here: the largest mosque of Europe, Turkey
  included. Funded by a sheik musing the 9/11 attacks and terrorism in
  general.

* Requests for the Dutch alphabet to be extended because Turkish names would
  otherwise have to be transliterated to Latin1.

* An actual political party (Arab European League) advocating sharia law,
  active in three countries. Famous for statements such as "if the Dutch
  cannot integrate with the immigrants, they can move out". Pardon me?

What makes matters even worse is that it's all too easy to blame this on the
Islam, while there are countless modern Muslims. Especially refugees from
the Balkan seem to adjust well, and maintain a modern and secular life.
Unfortunately, on other days I get harassed on the street for wearing a
stars and stripes shirt by Tommy Hilfiger.

I cannot deny that Muslims in the western world have to face harassment. But
I face harassment as well, including destruction of property and treats of
physical abuse, merely for expressing my fondness of American culture.
(American, not USian, or lets subsititute EUian for European on behalf of
the Swiss and SAian for South African on behalf of Botswana.)

You should be glad you live so far away from fascist states where political
opinions can mean death, that you mistakenly feel the US is heading towards
one. With the EU expansion eastwards, I'll be close to bordering some. With
the continued demographical shift towards people with more loyalty towards
the Arab laws and affinity for the lack of individual freedoms that come
with sharia law, I might face myself living in one some day.

Bush is not the problem, and Kerry is not the solution. In fact, based on
Kerry's plans to have mandatory community service for high school graduation
and mandatory service in the army.. I'd fear your civil liberties more under
him, and mine as well, because like Clinton Kerry would probably deem
American interests less important than the US ranking in the world
popularity contest.

I said mine, because I'm still from a European generation that considers
American interests similar to its own. If European loyalty shifts towards
"the rest of the world", that's not because of the 42nd President. Maybe
Europe is popular now, but it's not getting more freedom out of it, trust
me.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had
address@hidden | better learn baseball" -- Jacques Barzun