Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] political action call

From: Frank T. Pohlmann
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] political action call
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:42:01 +0100 (BST)

> I have to agree with you though, that remarks like
> yours might get you
> killed in ten years, when you're called on a tour of
> duty when the Americans
> have to free Europe again, this time from being
> colonized by radical Islam.

There is no such development requiring US attention.

> * 50% of my city (Rotterdam) is immigrant, mainly
> Islamic. Expected to be
>   2/3rd by 2020.

And your statistics are based on which source?

Our Hofplein square is more crowded
> when Galatasaray wins
>   a soccer match than when any of the three local
> teams does.

So we should be afraid of football fans now?

It's not
>   uncommon to hear more Arabic on the streets or
> subway than Dutch and I'm
>   not talking about Arabtown, I'm talking anywhere
> in town.

How much Arabic do you know? And Galatasaray fans are
unlikely to speak Arabic, for they happen to be
Turkish. Arabic is not taught at public schools in
Turkey. Religious instruction is not even permitted in
public schools in Turkey.

> * Currently under construction here: the largest
> mosque of Europe, Turkey
>   included. Funded by a sheik musing the 9/11
> attacks and terrorism in
>   general.

I doubt that he is the only one funding it.

> * Requests for the Dutch alphabet to be extended
> because Turkish names would
>   otherwise have to be transliterated to Latin1.

LOL. What is wrong with a request? Do you honestly
think anyone is taking it terribly seriously?

> * An actual political party (Arab European League)
> advocating sharia law,
>   active in three countries.

They do not advocate shariah as a way to run Holland.
They regard it as a way to run their communities. And,
they happen to be democrats.

Famous for statements
> such as "if the Dutch
>   cannot integrate with the immigrants, they can
> move out". Pardon me?

Your source, please. I have not been able to verify
your statement.

> the Balkan seem to adjust well, and maintain a
> modern and secular life.
> Unfortunately, on other days I get harassed on the
> street for wearing a
> stars and stripes shirt by Tommy Hilfiger.

Welcome to the club. I get harassed every other day
for having a German accent. I find your thin-skinned
reaction somewhat curious.

> I cannot deny that Muslims in the western world have
> to face harassment. But
> I face harassment as well, including destruction of
> property and treats of
> physical abuse, merely for expressing my fondness of
> American culture.

And the police was not interested? Why?

> You should be glad you live so far away from fascist
> states where political
> opinions can mean death, that you mistakenly feel
> the US is heading towards
> one.

I have lived in both communist and fascist states and
I am sorry to say that the US is sliding towards an
undemocratic oligarchy with fascist undercurrents.
Yes, I lived in the US for 3 years. I took off before
9/11 happened.

With the EU expansion eastwards, I'll be close
> to bordering some. With
> the continued demographical shift towards people
> with more loyalty towards
> the Arab laws and affinity for the lack of
> individual freedoms that come
> with sharia law, I might face myself living in one
> some day.

That is fairly hysterical. Perhaps, you care to
clarify why we should not be worried about far more
powerful rightwing extremists in the Netherlands and
Belgium.

> Kerry's plans to have mandatory community service
> for high school graduation
> and mandatory service in the army..

So you think giving to the country you are born in is
bad? Why, exactly? And in what way does community
service infringe your rights?

> him, and mine as well, because like Clinton Kerry
> would probably deem
> American interests less important than the US
> ranking in the world
> popularity contest.

Clinton was more interested in consulting his allies
than his successor. And in case you care to notice, if
you think that conquering 2 countries in the Middle
East and Central Asia serves US interest, the US is
rapidly losing influence in the far more important
arena of East, Southeast and South Asia.

> I said mine, because I'm still from a European
> generation that considers
> American interests similar to its own.

It was the US that decided its interests were unlike
those of the Europeans and actively started to
obstruct the EU political process through its British
underlings since the 1980s.

If European
> loyalty shifts towards
> "the rest of the world", that's not because of the
> 42nd President.

Correct. Some of us remember that blundering fool
Reagan. We considered our interests separate since.

Maybe
> Europe is popular now, but it's not getting more
> freedom out of it, trust
> me.

And the US is? Come on...

-Frank