Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla undo feature request

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla undo feature request
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:52:22 -0500

I'll vote for this one too. When using the cygwin port of tla I get into the problem that when a Windows program saves a file, it defaults to 775 in cygwin. What I did was create a script (attached) which just looks for metadata modified files, and sets them to 644. I try to run this before I commit, but sometimes I want a file that has 755 permissions, and this does the wrong thing.

'tla undo --metadata' would be a much nicer way of doing all this. And I think it goes well with the tla undo -- <files> patch.
I would argue we should probably allow tla undo --metadata -- <files>.

John
=:->

Robert Anderson wrote:

I'm in a hairy situation that I don't fully understand while
doing a star-merge where a bunch of files are ending up with
changed metadata, even though none of the applied patches contain
metadata deltas. But, it is kind of irrelevant that they don't.
The point is that I want to commit all the changes except the
metadata changes, no matter if I understand where they come from
or not.

Now maybe someone can conjure up a one- or two-liner to do this,
but wouldn't it be nice if I could do:

tla undo --metadata

and clean all the metadata changes out of my tree? Yes, it
would. It would be especially nice since some of the metadata
altered file also have content modification that I want to keep.
Scripting this with some kind of "undo files with metadata
changes" would be wrong.

Bob