Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Canonical wrapper?

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Canonical wrapper?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:18:09 -0400

Jani Monoses wrote:
The goal is having at least one wrapper to ease
new users experience.And more people contributing on them the better.
aba, Miles' scripts and xtla are doing slightly differnet things and can be
merged or all of them bundled.

It's nice of you to consider aba, but its goal is to make things convenient for experienced users, not to shield new users from the tla interface. Because of this, it does things that wouldn't be acceptable in a newbie interface (e.g. its input validation can be pretty weak in places). People complain about tla having too many commands, but aba has 50 *more* than tla.

PyAba *is* intended for this role, but it's not even ready for a release announcement (though I use it for day-to-day work). While it's intended to have fewer native commands than tla (some merged, some unnecessary), it currently doesn't have enough commands to be functional by itself. But I'm hoping to make aba obsolete in the near future.

new user: how do I do X?
Aaron: well I just have that functionality in aba you know.

Well, usually, it's
Aaron: This is how to do it with tla. And aba also has the functionality to do it directly.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology