Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:36:15 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Jan Hudec <address@hidden>

    >> The plan is *also* to make libtla into a real library, which can then
    >> have bindings for various languages, scripting or otherwise.  So Furth's
    >> not necessary for the purpose of creating friendly interfaces.

    > Yes, that's an even nicer plan.

It's the same plan, actually.

Forget the furth programming language for a minute and just think
about the process of adding arch functionality in the form of furth
primitive commands.   With very little waste, that work also makes
arch functionality available in a way that is easy to bind to Perl,
Python, Ruby, or whatever.

    > Personaly I believe it won't. Partly because I don't see any
    > advantages in Furth. The only advantage I see is, that Tom wants
    > to write it anyway, as a base for pika. And now that parrot
    > promisses to run scheme pretty fast, I wonder how big success
    > pika will be.

So do I.  But you'll note where I've laid down my betting money.