Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:02:51 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > > Here's an example of how the issue of the need for a language creeps
    > > into arch.  Consider our configuration files.   We have:

    > >         ~/.arch-params/hooks

    > >         ~/.arch-params/signing/*

    > >         $proj/{arch}/=3Dtagging-method

    > >         $library/=3Dgreedy

    > >         $library/=3Dsparse

    > > _These_ all have "ad hoc" syntaxes and semantics, and all different.

    > Of that list, ~/.arch-params/hook and {arch}/=3Dtagging-method are more
    > or less right the way they are. Sometimes a domain-specific answer is
    > the right answer.

I _might_ agree about `hook' although I think reducing `hook' to
`exec' is not obviously the right solution.

As for =tagging-method: no, it's all wrong, in some sense.  First, the
syntax is appalling (why aren't regexps "string constants" in some
language, for example).  Second, it too could benefit from some
turing-completeness as an alternative to, for example, .arch-inventory
files.