Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 07:50:09 +1100

> I love Arch, but I think it should optimize more for the common case. I

I agree.

> am running Ubuntu here, and I think it kicks. If Canonical have decided
> that they want to contribute to Arch, thats simply great news. If Arch

I agree.

> is supposed to be a 'community' project, I think it is perfectly fair to
> announce their involvement to the entire community at once, rather than

I agree.

> to a select few behind the scenes.

That's not really the point. Direct or indirect feedback _from an
earlier stage_, and/ or with a more conciliatory tone, could have
("normally") been expected. The approach ("here's our 'arch Fedora',
hopefully it won't diverge too much iff upstream accepts all our
patches" (kind of like, 'accepts carte blanche'), but I'm likely reading
too much into it) was quite distinct.

When I said "deference to Tom" earlier, what I should perhaps have said
was "deference to the community" (no "behind the scenes" was ever
necessary). Now there's certainly contribution, working with the
community's existing forums (ML, wiki), and proactive engagement in
dialog. All great of course. To say that's the sum of it is slightly
misleading.

All that said, it would of course be best for us to focus on that
"proactive" part, and get on with this community project...

cheers
zen