Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency

From: Frank Pohlmann
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: trained dependency
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:05:57 +0000 (GMT)

> * Zero home-schooled students are in prison.

I am not a great friend of schools as they exist
today, but can you provide the source for this
statement? Yes, I saw the link, but I dont have the
time to read through the whole website:)

> * Many (most?) of the wealthiest and most successful
> people did not
> matriculate, some (19th Century) doing little to no
> schooling at all
> (including America's founding fathers).

That is highly doubtful. Many were privately educated
at tremendous cost. They might not have bragged about
it, but nobody became a lawyer without some pretty
serious study and education. I am not in favour of
compulsory schooling, but in the political arena it
was and is fairly difficult to survive without formal
schooling and subsequent university education.

> Perhaps remember this: schooling, and education, are
> two vastly
> different things, despite the propaganda.

Of course they are.

> Schooling has a purpose, and I put it to you that
> it's not to educate,
> liberate or provide for an active democracy.

Schools, it is true, have been in existence outside of
democracy for millenia. But I don't think it is
possible to deliver broad-based education without it.
I am not an American and I only attended one semester
in Berkeley, so I am not intimately familiar with the
secondary education in the US.

-Frank

Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com