Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit

From: Jacob Gorm Hansen
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 12:44:46 +0100

Samuel Tardieu wrote:
"Jacob" == Jacob Gorm Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

Jacob> In this case I have to install two or three web browsers (that
Jacob> I am never going to use), kerberos support, GroupWise support,
Jacob> and various other stuff, just to get a (very fancy) email
Jacob> client.

This is mainly due to you installing binary packages. On my FreeBSD
box, my /etc/make.conf lists the options I want for packages. When a
program gets installed, it will be configured and compiled with the
dependencies needed by the options I set. In your case, you get a
binary suitable for "everyone", which includes every possible option

Which is also a 'lazy programmer' solution, but of little value to
non-expert users (so my mom should just pull the source on her 56K modem
and type make?). In this case, it seems the right thing to do would be
to check for the groupwise etc plugins, and use them if present, instead
of mandating their presence.  I also don't see why it needs both
Epiphany, Mozilla, AND libgtkhtml.

Jacob