Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: library-add w/o ancestor checking?

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: library-add w/o ancestor checking?
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:46:14 -0600

Stefan Monnier wrote:
See, although foo--bar--0--patch-20's ancestor is usually
foo--bar--0--patch-19, it doesn't *have* to be.  It could very well be
tla--devo--1.3, or tlacontrib--devo--1.2, or anything else, because it's
possible to tag into any version you like.

Yup.  I think it was a design mistake.

        Stefan

Well, it does let you have version controlled moving tags. So you can have a --dev branch and a --stable branch where stable is simply tags off of --dev.

I do think that the idea of making commit branches or tag branches, but not freely mixing them is a decent idea.

One thing I would say, is that probably 'tla tag' should be called 'tla branch' since that is closer to what it is doing, and prevents confusion from cvs users.

Maybe leave in tag, but it can only be used to create tag-only branches, versus 'branch' which can only be used to create base-0 versions.

The only problem is how do you tell if base-0 was created with tag or branch?

Maybe this is more for something like baz.
John
=:->