Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: darcs vs tla

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: darcs vs tla
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:06:37 -0800

On Nov 11, 2004, at 2:09, Matthew Palmer wrote:

Assuming equal competency in each language, it seems reasonable. There is a
converse, however -- higher level languages typically have more takens,
which means means that competency in a HLL will be lower for the same amount
of study effort and experience.

I'm not sure about this. python doesn't seem to have more reserved words than C. Then you have the special characters: = + * / [] {} () : ^ % # " """ ' (many of which are the same as many other languages).

Andrew's comment wasn't about productivity, it was about readability and maintainability. Having seen code in a lot of languages, I agree with him that programmers can make an equal mess in any language. Touting a language because it supposedly easier to write neat code will get nowt but a hollow
laugh from me.

You're looking at it the wrong way. I don't think anybody's suggesting there's a language that people can't make ugly code in, but it's been my experience that well-written code in a high level language is far easier to read than well-written code in a lower level language.

Or, more specifically. It's easier to understand what five lines of well written text means than twenty lines of well written text.

I have been going through some way, way excessively complicated java code from someone who attempted to add as much obligatory abstraction as possible and can say for sure that I've had an easier time following disassembled saturn code in the past as a less knowledgeable coder.