Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Removing the last changeset(s) from the archive

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Removing the last changeset(s) from the archive
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 11:52:15 -0600

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 11:14 -0600, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> Arch is designed so each developer can have his own tree,
> why not be able to correct mistakes?  I'm not asking
> to be able to remove any patches but the latest.  If
> there's worry about concurrency in the case of shared
> archives there could always be an option (in the
> archive/category/branch?) to dis-allow uncommit operations.

If you have your own private archive and then use push-mirror to make
your changes public, you can do this a bit more safely for changes that
haven't been push-mirrored yet, simply by manually altering your archive
and then killing all revision library entries, pristines, working trees,
etc. related to the dead revision. Failing to kill everything can lead
to archive corruption (as diffs may be made off the old version of the
revision rather than the new one).

I think the wiki discusses this.

> As a final argument, after a cursory glance at the archive
> data struture it seems this would be trivial to impliment.

A not-so-trivial issue: How do you handle the cases where someone has
already checked out / branched a version you're deleting?

That said, I believe Tom has fairly recently said that he agrees that
this kind of feature is worth having. It's not something that can be
implemented trivially, though, for the reasons above.