Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cacherev policy script

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] cacherev policy script
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:02:00 -0500

Miles Bader wrote:
it talks says an optimal cacherev policy would be "cached revisions such
that the sum of the sizes of changesets between any two cached revisions
is about the same as the size as the [...] cached revision."

Not really "optimal" for all purposes -- e.g., in my emacs branch,
there are currently over 700 revisions, but the total size of all
those changesets is still less than a single emacs cacherev... However for purposes of not driving people doing virgin checkouts
nuts, more frequent cacherevs are called for.

Agreed: this varies by tree, internet connection properties and changeset application time.

For me, with the tla tree, downloading and untarring a cacherev costs about as much as downloading and applying 50 changesets.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology