Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cacherev policy script

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: cacherev policy script
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:34:48 -0500

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 12:48:58PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > In 'Archive Cached Revisons' from
> > it talks says an optimal cacherev policy would be "cached revisions such
> > that the sum of the sizes of changesets between any two cached revisions
> > is about the same as the size as the [...] cached revision."
>
> > I'm just wondering if anyone has implemented a script to do this.
>
> Assuming cachedrev are mostly used to speed up the "initial checkout", and
> assuming that initial checkouts are done in 99% of the cases on the latest
> revision, the optimal policy might be to have a single cacherev, placed near
> the latest revision.
> This assumes you have the backbuilder, of course.

It's very dependendent on other properties of the protocol though.

When I (too rarely) make emacs cacherevs, I'm very careful to place them a
fair number of revisions before the latest, because if I don't, someone using
my tree to do _updates_ can get a cacherev, which is extremely horrible in
the case of emacs.  This problem would go away if tla used smarter algorithm
to choose when to use cachrevs, of course... :-/

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?