Re: [Gnu-arch-users] diff markers/ star merge

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] diff markers/ star merge
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 16:29:48 -0600

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 09:11, Aaron Bentley wrote:

Zenaan Harkness wrote:

So, I can tla undo, tla star-merge then tla redo, except when I tla redo
I get the .rej conflict files rather than diff3 in-file markers.

I realize that .rej files may be unfamiliar, but now that I'm used to them, I find them quite readable. The top half shows the text the patch was expecting, the bottom shows what the patch tried to turn it into.

Is there a way to play with my branches to achieve this (get the diff3
in-file markers when I re-do)?

AFAICT, there's no point in doing this. If you star-merge directly, you'll get the same thing,

But that's not quite what I need:

I have a month's work, I need to do a bit more work on it _before_
merging, but management is demanding a merge/release.

So, I want to undo, star-merge in $stable, then commit (!), then redo so
I can continue on. Except I want in-file diff3 markers when I redo,
because my change touches hundreds of files.

With so many files, it's a royal PITA to have to manually compare diff
.rej files with originals, locate the appropriate lines in the code, and
cut and paste between the .rej and the original.

Surely this makes sense? Or am I completely missing something?

I would recommend using a 3rd party tool that supports .rej files. I thought you've used emacs (which Tom at least stated supports .rej) otherwise I think meld and wiggle are both programs that support .rej files. Meld being a gui.

John
=:->