[Gnu-arch-users] Re: diff markers/ star merge

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: diff markers/ star merge
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:31:29 -0500

> I have a month's work, I need to do a bit more work on it _before_
> merging, but management is demanding a merge/release.

> So, I want to undo, star-merge in $stable, then commit (!), then redo so
> I can continue on. Except I want in-file diff3 markers when I redo,
> because my change touches hundreds of files.

Depending on the scale of your changes and of the merged changes, you might
want to set up a branch, in which case star-nerge will work just dandy,

> With so many files, it's a royal PITA to have to manually compare diff
> .rej files with originals, locate the appropriate lines in the code, and
> cut and paste between the .rej and the original.

> Surely this makes sense? Or am I completely missing something?

Try `wiggle' which applies a patch and gives diff3 markers rather than
a .rej file (or, seen from another viewpoint, it takes a .rej file an turns
it into diff3 markers).

        Stefan