Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch performance with large trees

From: mlh
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch performance with large trees
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:48:34 +1100

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 02:01:08PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> I fear that _any_ successful attempt to wring useful meta-data out of
> public sources will be met by similar attempts at obfuscation.

It's more than just threats at obfuscation:

For instance, http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0307.2/1342.html

        "Regardless of your legal rights or lack thereof,
        should you attempt to reverse engineer BK we'll
        simply stop giving BK out for free. See? Simple."

There are arguments in the same thread about the legality
in Europe of reverse engineering for interop versus cloning the app.

--
Matt