Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] new documentation progress

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] new documentation progress
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:02:05 +0200

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 07:47 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> David Allouche wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, when you have different imports of the same code base, you are
> > in trouble, since all the file ids are different.
>
> I'm talking about the case where you have two or more trees, and you
> decide to merge them.  Like the fai--dist--0.2 tree.  But you still want
> files added to root in fai or pyarch or pylon to appear in the root of
> fai--dist--0.2.

In an aggregation tree, when merging a file addition at the root of a
component tree, should the file be added at the root of the aggregation
tree or the root of the aggregated tree?

You say it should be merged at the root of the aggregation.

I say both.

      * If the root of the aggregated tree is present in the
        aggregation, the file addition should be merged there.

      * If the root of the aggregated tree is NOT present in the
        aggregation, the file addition should be merged at the root of
        the aggregation.

I think the later is actually a corner case of proper rename-aware
inexact patching.

You can only give that choice if the component trees have root id.
Setting a root id in init-tree is an enabler, and it does not preclude
your use case.

--
                                                            -- ddaa