Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] new documentation progress

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [GNU-arch-dev] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] new documentation progress
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:38:39 +1000

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 14:32 -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> Always giving root the same tag means that many important control
> files always have the same tag (using only generic rules for how those
> tags are constructed).

Uhm. All current files in Arch are either names tagged
- ?[_]./path/to/file-or-dir
or explictly id'd via external id files or in-file taglines.

Unless I'm badly mistaken giving the root a different id has no effect
on the ids of any other files. (even with second order effects such as a
merge from a tree that has been rooted in this tree other than at the
root, the ids in the source changeset will not alter.). Would it be
possible to have changeset application place such files (i.e. log files)
in a subdir rather than under the root {arch} - no. They would be added
under the original dirs id of ?_./{arch}/category/c--b.../patch-logs/
and thus added under this trees equivalent names path.

We would need to reserve ?_./ as an alias for the current trees root in
changeset aplication though.Not an onerous burden IMO.

Rob