Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Octopy patches for nested tree view

From: Rene Schallner
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Octopy patches for nested tree view
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 23:50:27 +0200

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 20:41, Yasushi Saito wrote:
> On 5/3/05, David Allouche <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Nothing has happened to octopy for a very long time (more than one
> > year), I think the original author has lost interest. If you feel up
> > to it, you could probably adopt it.
>
> That's right. I'm not actively using tla/baz these days, much less
> octopy.. So Rene, if you can take over the project, that'll be very
> cool.
>
> yaz

It's a bit sad to read that you don't use tla and octopy any more,
especially since you have done the great job of creating octopy.  I also
think every developer should at least use tla/baz :)

OK, I'll give taking it over a try.  Octopy is far too cool to be left
unmaintained.  I use it a lot and - over time - will continue to add my
little improvements.

Of course, this maintainership thing leads to a shift in perspective as
well; from: what do _I_ think should be improved/added/refactored/... (so
I can use it better, for my personal needs) to: what do _other users_
think about octopy (especially because I think that a great GUI is a great
way to boost the image of tla/baz - or, put the other way around: a bad
GUI makes tla/baz look bad as well).

So, my plan is to keep using and improving octopy for my personal tla needs
but to also discuss and implement big under-the-hood things like: changing
the python tla bindings if desireable and/or necessary, or adding baz
support, etc.

Actually, I am also especially interested in getting feedback about octopy
like "I'd really like to use it, BUT [lack-of-feature/usability/...]".
For instance, the lack of a nested tree view was the main reason I stopped
using octopy for a long time.

Hey, and if some of you happen to have some patches: bring them on !!!

Well, to sum this up:  I think there's a lot of potential in a cool and
usable GUI such as octopy.  I'm open to all sorts of suggestions.  I'll
keep suggesting things to myself as well :)  At least this should lead to
constant improvements and perhaps interesting new features.

        -Rene