Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Unsucessful application of patches, without any err

From: James Livingston
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Unsucessful application of patches, without any error
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 01:34:06 +1000

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 09:54 -0500, John A Meinel wrote:
> James Livingston wrote:
> > There are other patches by the same person (both before, and after) that
> > modify the above two files and don't show this problem. My other guess
> > was that the patch had gotten corrupted somewhere, but 1.2.1 and 1.3
> > both do the right thing, which makes this less likely.
> >
> > It's not a complex patch either, the changes to the two files that don't
> > work are a couple of lines added/changed.
>
> Is the tree available that we can see it, and the bogus patch? I don't
> have a lot of time, but I could at least look at the patch and see if
> anything is suspicious.

http://j.kaolin.hn.org/arch/2005
address@hidden
rhythmbox--bugs--0.9
patch-25

is the original branch the patch came from, although most people have
been getting it via it's inclusion in the "merge" branch. I've checked
that the problem occurs in the original branch, so it isn't a problem
that was caused when the patch got merged into another branch.

Don't worry if you haven't got the time, it's not much of a problem to
say "use tla >= 1.2.1".

> Of course, natural statement is, since tla-1.2.1 and 1.3 work, use them. :)

Yeah, that's the plan.

> Also, what version did he use to *generate* these patches?

I'm not entirely sure, he hasn't gotten back to me get on that.

> And does the id for the patch have a quote (', ") in them? I believe
> there was also a change to how quotes were handled in ids.

If the id is the "arch-tag" bit at the top of every file (I'm kind of a
newbie at Arch), then yes - those two files do have double-quote in
their ids. I'm not sure why the problem wouldn't have shown up with any
other patch that changes one of those files (they've been around for a
fair while), but it would help to explain the problem.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
To bowl a maiden over: