[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla suggestions

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla suggestions
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:44:29 +0200

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 11:00 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Ulf Ochsenfahrt <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > 1. tla commit should make a revlib entry
>
> True,

Where is the bugtracker that I can put this in? At least three people
have agreed that this would be a good idea (and noone opposed it), so it
should not be forgotten!

> > 3. tla should show a progress bar for patch up-/download
>
> bazaar has this kind of progress bar, but it shows a dot only for each
> downloaded changeset, so, it won't solve your particular problem.

Any plans to do it?

> > 4. archive-mirror is buggy when I break it with ctrl-c
> >
> > When I archive-mirror and i break it with ctrl-c, I can't do
> > archive-mirror afterwards, it always says:
> >
> > ** adding revision artwork--mainline--0.1--patch-1
> > arch-mirror: unable to acquire revision lock (internal error in
> > archive-pfs.c(pfs_lock_revision))
> >     revision:
> > address@hidden/artwork--mainline--0.1--patch-1
>
> Bazaar would have told you to use
>
>   baz lock-revision -b
>
> Which is the right thing to do here. Since we don't have a dedicated
> server, this kind of situation can anyway happen, that's life.
> However, tla/baz could cleanly catch the Control-C signal and exit
> cleanly.

Stupid me. Anyway, a short text message would be a _good thing_.

> > 5. there should be a command that does tree-lint AND changes
>
> This is
>
>   baz status
>
> If you're an Emacs user, Xtla 1.1's M-x status reruns status
> automatically when the tree becomes lint-clean.

I'm not.

> > If baz solves all these
>
> Not all, but at least, it solves the problem of "I reported this
> problem 3 times and it seems all my emails went to /dev/null" most of
> the time.

There is this bug czar thing. I'm not convinced that works. A bugtracker
would be nice ... if the tla devs looked into it every now and then.

> > and I can get a binary package for all my
> > machines (debian woody on one server
>
> Will be hard (but possible) to get something working on this one.

I'm going to upgrade to sarge soon, so that's not that much of a
problem.

> > - going to upgrade soon, debian
> > sarge on the other, debian testing
>
> No problem on those.
>
> > & windows
>
> Windows is still a problem with both baz and tla, but bazaar makes big
> efforts to be more portable.

tla on windows works for me (tm). I took the version that is advertised
in the wiki. If I can import my local repository on windows into baz,
that should suffice.

> > on my work machine, debian
> > unstable on my home machine), then I will consider to switch. I am not
> > going to install python though or anything big for that matter.
>
> python is required for bazaar-ng, but baz is 100% in C.

Fine with me then. ;)

Cheers,

-- Ulf