Re: [Gnu-arch-users] baz make-archive existing-dir

From: Harald Meland
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] baz make-archive existing-dir
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:14:27 +0200

[Stuart Jansen]

> Why does baz require that the destination directory of a make-archive
> not already exist?

I don't know the answer to this, but:

> In other words, if we were mirroring to /export/archives/<employee>, it
> would be nice if an admin could create an empty
> directory /export/archives/sjansen and grant me ownership of it. As it
> stands now, the admin would have to grant me write to
> /export/archives.

Yup.

> Not only would I be able to create an archive mirror, I would also be
> able to muck in other people's archives.

No, the admin could set the sticky bit in /export/archives/, and
ensure that /export/archives/<parent-archive>/ is *not* writeable for
you.

Your employees would then be able to create new directories (and
change the name of directories they own).

Of course, the first-come-first-served name allocation (i.e. user
'sjansen' could create /export/archives/foobar and mirror to that, so
there is no necessary correspondence between username and mirror
directory name), and the ability for users to rename their own
directories/set permissions for their own directories might not be
what you want.
--
Harald