Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: how to add comments to revisions

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: how to add comments to revisions
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:46:52 +0200

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 16:17 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > This is your personal experience, but Canonical is managing a very
> > large number of archives, and actually developed Bazaar because tla
> > didn't feet their needs.
>
> If you mean the archives with only one long branch (imported cvs history)
> found on bazaar.ubuntu.com, or with one centralized-developement branch
> (may only guess here), then, yes, my use cases are quite different.

I think that calls for a clarification. For the record, I'm the guy who
runs those imports.

Baz development was not driven by the requirements of the imports. The
import system was actually quite indifferent to baz changes, except for
some performance bugfixes.

It was driven by requirement of users, from the company and from the
community, and by community contributions.

I agree that baz stability has been disappointing. But the reason why
some Canonical developers are still very unhappy with it are
improvements that do not quite work (baz merge taking ages and sometimes
eating all memory and failing) and things that were inherited from tla
(pathological performance on trees with a large history and many
branches, namespace clutter, network counter-performance).

Finally, I must point out that I'm a simple programmer at Canonical, and
I have absolutely no authority to speak for it. So all opinions
expressed here are my own.

--
                                                            -- ddaa
Ariadne, where's my party line?