Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: how to add comments to revisions

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: how to add comments to revisions
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:22:19 -0400

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 02:44:47PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2005 10:45:50 +0000, Bahadir Balban wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for letting me know. Last time I checked the mailing list revc
> > had just been released. It's a shame such a promising project is
> > abandoned.
>
> You may still use tla, that just works. If you are risky, you may use baz
> as well, that works well for simple usages. For more non-trivial usages,
> in my experience, it may periodically show slowness, panic exits and lots
> of small annoyances (input verification, stdout vus stderr for chat).

Aye. It fixed a lot of bugs (counted in dozens, if not hundreds), and in
return created a few. The ones created are doozies. This has been
magnified greatly by the way that the bulk of the community hopped over to
bzr.

> I have no experience with bzr (it is advertized here all the time,
> although not really ready), but it is said to share the developers with
> baz, so the expected quality may [or may not] be appropriate.

Bzr is actually pretty solid, especially considering its age (~ 8 months).
There's still a couple important things missing that are actively being
worked on. The merge exceeds both tla and baz (I.E., all significant flaws
in the bazaar mesh merge have been solved in Bazaar-NG).  Also, most of
the history problem that plagued baz and tla has been solved. People using
recent Bazaar-NG see a history to tree ratio of 5:1 (even for trees that
show a history to code ratio as bad as 100:1 in Bazaar 1.x and tla)

There's more to do though. Though Bzr is ready for private branches today,
there are at least three Big Problems left for public/multi-user branches.

  -gpg support isn't in yet. I hear that this is very close though,
   possibly going in this week or next.

  -bzr get is painfully slow, which is being worked around by using rsync.
   This won't last much longer either. There's already been a fix for this
   before, in trees that had older formats.

  -bzr push needs a good deal of work. This is being worked around for now
   by either rsyncing directly or using a bzr plugin that uses rsync for you.

Other, smaller, things remain to be done, but I believe those are just a
case of putting in the work.

Btw, did you know that there's about a dozen people actively contributing to
Bazaar-NG? If you like, you can keep an eye on Bazaar-NG development by
reading http://bazaar.canonical.com/BzrTraffic.