Re: [Gnu-arch-users] nuking the field

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] nuking the field
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:56:19 +0100

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> I think you're mistaken about the source of demise of stellation
> although svn may have made a convenient excuse at some point or
> other.  There was a "last gasp" from stellation folk on one of the
> svn lists for a while.

I'm quite likely mistaken, yes.  I don't think there was any actual
announcement of its death.  Maybe the people in IBM just got
reassigned and it died.

But really I was thinking that nobody has to have done anything wrong;
I wouldn't blame anyone for looking around and deciding that the
field's now saturated.

I still think there's room for interesting free software.  Just maybe
not for new projects.

Nothing much to do with the obvious big players; just that there seem
to be a whole lot of existing projects (many not that worthwhile,
IMHO, and doomed, but there are some interesting ones, too, which seem
to me to be likely to survive).  I'd have thought there's a worthwhile
project somewhere for anyone who was interested in doing something in
the field.

[...]