Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:19:28 -0400

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 11:37:29PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    That's what ArX, the gnuarch 1.2.xrc series, Bazaar 1.x, Bazaar-NG
>    and probably mercurial were/are all about, good buddy.
>
> Stop deluding yourself, those were all forks because of personal
> disagreements with maybe the execption of gnuarch 1.2.  You simply
> don't make forks to `help the current maintainer or pick up the
> torch'.

ams, I know you're a nicer guy than this. I'm not being obnoxious or rude.
I'm simply stating well known fact that's been covered on the list and
widely agreed upon.  You seem to be unaware of the investment that I
personally made in gnuarch. If you doubt that for a moment, feel free to
ask Tom how many hours I invested into tla, how many dollars I sent to
him, the money I invested in bandwidth and servers (He wouldn't know this,
but ~ 800 for the server that was sourcecontrol.net, and $850 for the
month that I used to host the supermirror other project resources). To
this day I host Tom's resume, as posted by him at http://gnuarch.org,  out
of my pocket. :)

Don't tell me that I didn't do my part. :)

Anyways, three of those weren't.  :

  ArX : Actually a fork of larch. Started with Tom's approval.

  Bazaar-NG: Full competing implementation, not based upon arch at all.

  Gnuarch 1.2.2rc : Never a fork. Could have been, but stopped before
                    that. A grand total of three release candidates were
                    made, all with Tom's knowledge and approval. There was
                    never a single actual release made off of the three
                    gnaurch rc series.

> But I do not want this to become one of those nice warm flames, so can
> we stop the crap about history, and find someone who wishes to be the
> maintainer for tla?

I'm guessing you've missed a lot of posts in the 6-2 month ago range.
Pleaes read those (particularly the ones by Tom) on why nobody's seriously
considering maintaining tla.

If you're seriously looking for something actively maintained that's as
close to tla as possible, then your best choice is ArX. If you're looking
at personally continuing Tom Lord's work, then your best bet is revc (is
it revc2?).