Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directo

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directories
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:12:25 -0700

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
I think I understand your point.  OTOH, I'd rather say "what is
_possibly_ the wrong location", assuming the user is aware of what
they're doing.

As mentioned by Sylvain in the Savannah bug report, one possibility
would be to simply create an archive _within_ the directory at hand,
instead of _at_ this directory, but this would look inconsistent with
former practice at Savannah.  So, yes, this can be seen as a pure
Savannah problem, not a `tla' one.

Creating an archive within the directory is the right thing to do.
That allows projects to divide up materials along logical boundaries
into separate archives.   It simplifies access protection management.
And it supports, for long lived projects, "archive rotation".

OTOH, ...

Oh, well, we could argue at length about this but it's not so important
after all.  Maybe a `--really' option would yield consensus?  ;-)

I'm sorry to be such a pill but that strikes me as the kind of "just this once?" little feature that leads to madness.... oh wait.... the smiley. You're joking.
Sorry.