Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directo

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directories
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:35:16 -0700

Sylvain Beucler wrote:
It depends. As Ludovic says, this is not what we initially did when we
used to manually pre-initialize archives at Savannah. Some users used
this layout, but others users (like Andy ;)) decided to ignore it and
create sub-directory archives.

Today there is no consistency and no "right" way to do it. I even mix
both in arch4debian.

You misunderstand.   Subdirs are the right way to use Arch, regardless of
context.   I can't help it if people did something different in some context
but if they did, they made a mistake.

Savannah projects that use arch should plan for multiple archives. E.g., what if in addition to the project's main archive, they want to mirror the archive
of a major contributor or friendly fork there?

Anyway it has always bugged me that tla refuses to create an archive
in an empty directory, so I'd vote for including Ludovic's patch :)

Alas, Ludovic's patch does not implement "permit creating an archive in an
empty directory" it implements "permit creating an archive in an existing
directory."

I think "...in an empty directory" would be bloat and would mess up a
small number of users but I could at least see in argument in favor of it.
In contrast, "...in an existing directory" turns typos into annoying-to-recover-from
errors.