Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directo

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directories
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:05:58 +0200

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:12:25AM -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> >I think I understand your point.  OTOH, I'd rather say "what is
> >_possibly_ the wrong location", assuming the user is aware of what
> >they're doing.
> >
> >As mentioned by Sylvain in the Savannah bug report, one possibility
> >would be to simply create an archive _within_ the directory at hand,
> >instead of _at_ this directory, but this would look inconsistent with
> >former practice at Savannah.  So, yes, this can be seen as a pure
> >Savannah problem, not a `tla' one.
> >

> Creating an archive within the directory is the right thing to do.

It depends. As Ludovic says, this is not what we initially did when we
used to manually pre-initialize archives at Savannah. Some users used
this layout, but others users (like Andy ;)) decided to ignore it and
create sub-directory archives.

Today there is no consistency and no "right" way to do it. I even mix
both in arch4debian.

Anyway it has always bugged me that tla refuses to create an archive
in an empty directory, so I'd vote for including Ludovic's patch :)