[GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 02:08:30 +0300

Diego Saravia wrote:
> > The driver ITSELF is free software.  But there is no way to use
> > it in the Free World.
>
> could be used to develop a free blob

As I said in my previous messages, distributing the blob (in "source"
or binary form) is not a prerequisite for writing a free replacement
of that blob.  Not at all.

Quite the opposite, by distributing it (or distributing the kernel
module happily able to load and use the blob, if available) you are
effectively saying that there's nothing wrong with that blob.  It will
just help maintain the status quo, which is not what we want.