Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exte

From: Diego Saravia
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:43:04 -0300

2009/8/16 Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>:
> Diego Saravia wrote:
>> > The driver ITSELF is free software.  But there is no way to use
>> > it in the Free World.
>>
>> could be used to develop a free blob
>
> As I said in my previous messages, distributing the blob (in "source"
> or binary form) is not a prerequisite for writing a free replacement
> of that blob.  Not at all.

we are not talking about that, we are talking about distributing
drivers without blobs.

and we are not talking either about prerequisites. we are talking
about an invitation to develop what is needed: a free firmware.

> Quite the opposite, by distributing it (or distributing the kernel
> module happily able to load and use the blob, if available) you are
> effectively saying that there's nothing wrong with that blob.

not at all

distributing a free system is not a way to say that is ok to use flash on it

you can use gnash on it, for example

was ok or was not ok to distribute gnash when it was almost
inoperative because its not complete developed?

distributing an incomplete gnash was an incentive to use flash?

somepeople said that we must not incentivate the use of  that kind of
video codification, and that we must not distribute gnash, nor flash,
but that is another history.

--
Diego Saravia
address@hidden